Re: [AD] Re: file_select_ex patch

Chris wrote:
On Friday 16 September 2005 08:17 am, Michal Molhanec wrote:

anyway, I'm strictly against the original patch for DOS/Windows
platforms as readonly flag for directories on them is meaningless so no
behaviour should be based on it

Just because DOS/Windows as an OS doesn't implement proper read-only directory behavior doesn't mean a program shouldn't respect the flag.

wow, there is some international standard of proper read-only directory handling... ISO or IEC at least I guess? :-)

so why shouldn't the same apply to read-only directories?

it can easily happen to have readonly dir on disk, e.g. by copying something from CD or other ro medium. this could not normally happen with hidden flag

And as I also said on IRC, who is going to use -r anyway? GTK/Qt/Windows apps don't even hide read-only files for 'save as...' dialogs. They let you pick them, and if the operation can't be done it throws an error.

so why not to implement it that way too?

--
Regards,
    Michal

ICQ# 175762750