Re: [AD] Re: file_select_ex patch

Chris wrote:
Which only works because Windows doesn't prevent creating files in read-only dir's, like common logic suggests it should.

there is nothing like common logic in this case. the fact, that you prefer some behaviour does not mean that all the others do

But if I specify -r I want to see RO dirs because I've read Allegro
documentation and I know that it applies only on files.

Technically. However, reading the docs on the function show just how confusing the behavior is (and just imagine how the underlying code must be to incorperate such an illogical setup). According to the docs, none of the h/r/a/s flags are applied to directories, unless you also specify +d or -d.. however, this would effectively limit you to only being able to filter hidden/system/read-only/archive directories if you *only* show directories. AFAIK nobody here has a problem with hiding/showing hidden (or even system) directories with just -h/-s or +h/+s by default. I can't see very many programs breaking because of this, and it's a change for the better. Therefore, the docs are going to need to be changed anyway, so you can't say "because the docs say so".

we are not speaking about h/s flags but about the r one. and it's only your approach to not make difference between those flags

IMO, this (not filtering directories by defualt) was a major oversight and should be fixed ASAP, to a) fix it before more programs rely on the broken/bad behavior (in fact, I'd assume most programs rely on proper behavior, but chaulk it up to "bad design" that it doesn't), and b) to behave closer with how other existing file select dialogs work. There's a reason they don't hide read-only files when doing a save-as operation. Because that would make browsing through a bit harder from it having removed read-only directories too (as it should.. you can't/shouldn't create files in a read-only dir).

YOU think that it is bug. that does not mean that other people think so. Or you have made some opinion poll ?

Because r (just like s, a and h) should apply to files *and* folders by default.

Why? Because YOU think it's better? And what if somebody want to use -r only for files?

Anyway, do what you want, I do not have enough energy for fight :-) I've not used Allegro for four years so the right question is what I'm doing here on AD list :-) ?

--
Regards,
    Michal

ICQ# 175762750