Re: [AD] Re: file_select_ex patch

On Sunday 18 September 2005 09:35 am, Michal Molhanec wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > Which only works because Windows doesn't prevent creating files in
> > read-only dir's, like common logic suggests it should.
>
> there is nothing like common logic in this case.

Considering the number of OS's and file systems that are able to set a
read-only directory, and the number that actually use that attribute for
something, just because DOS/Windows' FAT/NTFS don't doesn't mean it's not
common. It just means those two don't.

> the fact, that you
> prefer some behaviour does not mean that all the others do

The fact is that other OS's follow this behavior, except Windows.

> we are not speaking about h/s flags but about the r one.

There shouldn't be a difference. Specifying one of these flags should be just
like specifying another.

> YOU think that it is bug. that does not mean that other people think so.
> Or you have made some opinion poll ?

Elias has said that the hidden attribute flag should be applied to directories
by default. THe only real reason he's said that he doesn't want -r to apply
is because it'd make browsing through read-only directories to get to
writeable directories or files a pain. And although I can understand that,
there are way around it.. eg. putting symlinks in your home dir, typing out
the file/dir name manually, or just not using -r. This is how other other
file selector dialogs work.

> > Because r (just like s, a and h) should apply to files *and*
> > folders by default.
>
> Why? Because YOU think it's better? And what if somebody want to use -r
> only for files?

What if someone wants to use blit() with a source filename instead of a
preloaded BITMAP?

All attribute flags should apply to both because that's how for_each_file_ex
works. No one's said h/s/a shouldn't apply to directories by default, and to
make r break from that will only lead to confusion and problems (let alone
annoyingly complex code). The API should follow logical behavior. If someone
wants to modify this behavior bad enough, they can change the source
themself.