Re: [AD] disable linux console port by default?

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 14:29, Peter Wang wrote:
> A recent message on [AL] reminded me of an idea.  We have gotten quite a
> few reports from people over the years who've built Allegro without X11
> support by accident due to missing X development libraries.  I wonder if
> it's time for us to just disable the linux console port by default now.

I'd prefer a big fat warning if you're building without it, but I assume
that's not cutting it even for your average Linux user these days, right?

> There aren't really any good graphics backends left with drivers for
> modern cards, limiting the usefulness of the port.

That's a good point, and one that I've been wondering about quite a bit.
VBE/AF is dead. What's the status of SVGALib? Is it dead or alife? That
leaves (IIRC) the console frame buffer driver... does that even work
properly?

> Unless someone knows what they're doing, they probably only care about X.

True. I sure know I do ;)

Evert