Re: [AD] disable linux console port by default?

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 22:29 +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> A recent message on [AL] reminded me of an idea.  We have gotten quite a
> few reports from people over the years who've built Allegro without X11
> support by accident due to missing X development libraries.  I wonder if
> it's time for us to just disable the linux console port by default now.
> There aren't really any good graphics backends left with drivers for
> modern cards, limiting the usefulness of the port.  Unless someone knows
> what they're doing, they probably only care about X.

Yes, I agree. It's why I added the line about X11 to "make info".. a lot
of people seem to get the non-X11 version under linux. I also couldn't
find any mentioned that you need to install the X11 devel libraries in
the docs [1]. I know it's in there somewhere, but probably should be
moved to a more prominent place, like unix.txt or linux.txt. Hmm, guess
I should make a patch myself..

[1]
> grep dev docs/build/unix.txt
   already have all the necessary development tools, at least for
compiling
> grep dev docs/build/linux.txt
      the device file /dev/input/js0, if it's not already there.
      /dev/gpmdata. Edit your init scripts and add the `-R' option. The
      changing the `mouse_device' variable in the config file.
      to have write permissions to the device.
      /dev/input/eventN.

--
Elias Pschernig