Re: [AD] MSVC 8 cl flags

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 14:00 -0700, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday 18 August 2005 03:34 pm, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> > I recently installed the beta for VC++ 2005 Express (MSVC 8.0)
>
> How much longer are we going to continue supporting MSVC? Since it's clear
> that Microsoft doesn't want to support standards that Allegro's going to rely
> on (C99), and it's working to purposely break code that uses standard
> functions (by deprecating a good number of common libc functions), I think
> it'd do a huge disservice to the cross-platform compatible nature of Allegro,
> and the coders that work with it, to try and pander to new versions of MSVC.

I agree - if they remove libc functions, then we won't use it anymore.
Essentially, this is not a C compiler then any longer.. those functions
are in C99, so a C compiler must support them.

Right now, it seems they only spit out deprecation warnings.. so we can
keep support as long as it can still compile Allegro.

What I think we should drop for after 4.2.0 is things like defining all
variables at the beginning of blocks - I find this is just bad style and
leads to programming errors. (It will break MSVC 6 and gcc 2.95)

--
Elias Pschernig