Re: [AD] MSVC 8 cl flags

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 23:31 +0200, Evert Glebbeek wrote:

> This is a very volatile discussion point, and my point of view follows Owen
> Rudge's: variables should be declared together at the top of the scoping
> unit so that their definitions can be easily found; declaring variables
> all over the place is bad style, only slightly better than having the
> compiler declare variables implicitly. I consider it to be the greatest
> misfeature of C++ and C99.

Well, I use them a lot. If I declare all variables at the top of a
function, I either leave them un-unitialized (which I think is bad), or
initialize to some bogus value which is not going to be used.

If I only declare them when they are initialized, this is solved.

So, I actually find it is the best feature of C99 (mostly because I
forget what else was newly introduced in it..) :)

> I'll just hasten myself to stress that that's my opinion though. In the end
> it's probably a minor point, but one that I don't feel is important enough
> to break compatibility over.

Yes, same here, just my opinion of course. So no point discussing it
more right now I guess - for 4.2.0, we clearly can't use it.

--
Elias Pschernig