Re: [AD] The Grabber: Organizing Objects

On 7/26/05, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed another problem just now: When you select a sub-datafile, and
> something inside it, then move, the selection will do weird things.

I'm sorry about that.  I should have spent more time putting the patch
together... so I did.  Attached is what I came up with.  It's the
elegant solution I alluded to earlier.

mover() is now simpler and better defined.  Though, I was only able to
do this by ditching multiple selections (which seem somewhat
unnecessary in retrospect, given the general use of the Move command).
 Please try out the new interface and see if it's satisfactory.

Also, I would like to propose some changes to the alert messages of
the grabber.  First, both "Nothing to <verb>!" and "Can't <verb> a
multiple selection!" could become "Please select a single item to
<verb>."  This not only eliminates the need to branch on those two
conditions but is also less harsh and doesn't hurt my brain
("Multiple" is not an adjective!).  In addition, the grabber has some
non-standard dialogs, such as "Yes/Cancel" (as opposed "OK/Cancel" or
"Yes/No").  Should I take the liberty of making changes of this
nature?  If you approve, I will happily respond with the final grabber
patch for now.

Finally, I have placed the Move command at what seems to be a more
logical position in the menu.

  - Grady