Re: [AD] Framebuffer resolution problems

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

Well, at http://linux-fbdev.sourceforge.net/ they don't have much
documentation but you can subscribe to the mailing lists where you
can ask the fb implementation authors what is happening. Apparently
fb programming is so easy reading that header file should be
enough. At least that's the feeling you get from reading thousands
of micro howtos on how to program it, which are scattered on the
net and none of them serves as a complete reference.

I thought so.

If you want to work on this, you first have to get FB support
compiled and working for your Allegro and try it. Possibly with a
vesa driver if you don't have supported hardware.

I used vesafb driver and everything was working fine, at least the last time I tried it (some latest WIP's). There were some issues, but I think they where driver related, like inability to properly change resolution and color depth.

If Allegro crashes on you on something simple as clear_bitmap(), it
means the current CVS code doesn't really work for you, and should
try with the patch I posted, which reverts from 1.29 to 1.27. You
can see why clear_bitmap() crashes when the height of the bitmap
has a stupidly high value.

I'm not so sure any more I want to work on this :-/ I just remembered I have a problem when switching from X (nvidia drivers) to fb console. The screen is messed up.

Anyway, once you get fb working for you, it would be a matter of
contacting the affected people (those who proposed changes to the
fbcon.c file) and ask them to try some code. This code would try
to printf or log the values used in the variables used in all the
combinations that the code has gone through.

How come that a fb kernel API is so bad designed? I hope these are just bugs, because code using fb API is supposed to work on every hardware:
From Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt:
"It represents the frame buffer of some video hardware and allows application
software to access the graphics hardware through a well-defined interface, so
the software doesn't need to know anything about the low-level (hardware
register) stuff."

--
Milan Mimica