WM_CHAR driver (was: Re: [AD] keyconf)

Elias Pschernig wrote:
On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 01:08 +0100, Evert Glebbeek wrote:

Hm, and I also have an almost working WM_CHAR driver now (the reason
was explained in the deleted story above :P), so maybe we can have two
drivers, a dinput one and a WM_CHAR one.

Is it useful to have two? Otherwise, I think we can just stick to the DInput driver.

Hm, it would be as useful as the GDI driver.. so yes, I guess, no need
for it. But now that it's already written - I'll keep it around just in
case :)

The WM_CHAR driver (along with the GDI driver) would be useful for if we were to make a Windows Allegro port that is independent of DirectX (though we'd still need to make a sound-driver and midi-driver). This could be useful for running programs on old versions of Windows95 that the user does not want to clutter with DirectX. In fact, a 32-bit Windows 3.1 port might be possible (although I'm not sure if Windows 3.1 uses the flat memory-model). Also, if the user is using AllegroGL, they might want to make a program that is completely independent of DirectX.

AE.

PS. I find the GDI driver useful when running Allegro programs through the debugger. Even DX-windowed mode does not work as well when being single-stepped.