Re: [AD] Patch to thanks._tx and demo.c

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 18:01 -0200, Marcio Fialho wrote:

>   - "Julien Cugnière" and "Ville Skyttä" names aren't displayed
> correctly in the demo program, because it doesn't recognises letters
> with diacritical marks (accents).

thanks._tx isn't in UTF8 format - I think we should convert it. Or would
that break makedoc? Grzegorz?

>   - The file doesn't follow strict alphabetic order in the authors
> names. e.g.: "Alex Demko" comes before "Alessandro Monopoli".

We should fix it.

>   - Perhaps, there are still more bugs to be found.
>   - Perhaps, some contributors are still missing in the list (e.g, due
> to accidental deletions (I hope not) ).
>
> Besides that, I also added the following description to my credit:
>  "Fixed some bugs related to authors credits."
> I did that because I wanted to save time for who is coordinating Allegro
> (whoose I belive is currently Evert), so he would not have to write a
> complement to my credit line in case he whished to acknoledge this small
> contribution. You may remove it or change it to whatever text you think
> is more appropriate.  I hope I haven't been unpolite to write a credit
> addon for myself :-; Anyway, it's easier to remove text than to write it.

thanks._tx always is updated when new releases are made, but shouldn't
be a problem.

>    Here I have a doubt. According to the english grammar, should it be:
>      "Fixed some bugs related to authors credits."
>    or
>      "Fixed some bugs related to the authors credits."  ?

Sound both right to me.

> In case someone is interested, I've gathered some interesting statistics
> with this job:
>    There are around 231 contributors listed in thanks._tx

That is exactly the same number my IRC bot who has a command to display
a random entry from thanks._tx tells :) Nr. 1 is Acho A. Tang, Nr. 231
is VolkerOth :)

>    Demo.exe took 36:43 (thirty six minutes and fourty three seconds) to
> display all authors credits in a Celeron 450 MHz machine, with 96 MB of
> RAM and a Intel 810 on-board graphics adapter, running in plain DOS (DOS
> 7.10?  that comes with Windows 98 SE ), using the default graphics mode
> and drawing technique.

Ahh. I remember back a long time ago, when I watched all of the demo
after my first contribution, until my name appeared.. couldn't get the
demo melody out of my head for quite some time afterwards :)

Hm, this reminds me, I never found time to figure out how demo sorts the
credits.. it seems to also scan some of the source files for names
appearing there.

>    This contribution costed around 6 man hours (including the time to
> write this e-mail).

Yeah, all developers know how long even such small changes take. It's
much appreciated, and I hope you keep sending patches!

--
Elias Pschernig