Re: [AD] Patch to thanks._tx and demo.c

On 2005-02-13, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, since makedoc doesn't care.. maybe we should make all ._tx
> files UTF8, and specify that UTF8 is the encoding of the _tx
> file type?

Thinking harder this time, this will result in all output formats
except HTML needing utf8 -> latin1 conversion. It is also a bad
idea for documentation source if you want to use newer makedoc
binaries with old text, as you would need some flat to tell which
encoding the input is, which by default would be latin1 anyway.
IOW, you are going to rewrite XML functionality. Maybe we should
wait for the xml-makedoc thingy which solves this nicely.

> I somehow like to remove all notion of those ancient encodings
> whenever I encounter them :)

Yeah, we should get rid of Unix in the meantime as well. Hehe,
lets drop DOS support. There is nothing bad in latin1 as long as
the characters you need are inside its range.

> (And since it seems we want to make allegro after 4.2.0 use only
> utf8 and get rid of set_uformat, it seems a bad time to introduce
> it now in the demo.)

set_uformat() would remain for user level format specification.
Its problem is changing encoding on the fly because of driver
strings. Talking about which, Allegro will need a G_BROKEN_FILENAMES
environment variable like GTK too.