Re: [AD] Patch to thanks._tx and demo.c

 --- Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2005-02-13, Elias Pschernig
> <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, since makedoc doesn't care.. maybe we should
> > make all ._tx files UTF8, and specify that UTF8 is
> > the encoding of the _tx file type?
>
> Thinking harder this time, this will result in all
> output formats except HTML needing utf8 -> latin1
> conversion. It is also a bad idea for documentation
> source if you want to use newer makedoc binaries
> with old text, as you would need some flat to tell
> which encoding the input is, which by default would
> be latin1 anyway.
> IOW, you are going to rewrite XML functionality.
> Maybe we should wait for the xml-makedoc thingy
> which solves this nicely.

What about to replace all accented characters in
thanks._tx for their 7-bit ASCII counterparts (e.g á
-> a)? For me, it seems to be the easiest solution.

If we change thanks._tx to UTF-8 then source files
would have to be also in UTF-8 (because demo.exe
searches all the source files to sort the author
credits), or demo.c would have to be smart enough to
work-out encoding differences and recognising names
with accents and without accents as the same thing.
(e.g: Márcio == Marcio). Anyway, regardless the
decision we take with thanks._tx I belive demo.c
should regard accented letters and non-accented
letters as the same thing, because in a source file a
name might appear with accents while in another
without.

Personally, I prefer that my name to be written
without accent in thanks._tx while no solution is
found for this issue. Actually I really don't mind if
my name appears with accent or not in the demo game.
Evert don't need to bother with this. I belive there's
more important issues in Allegro than this issue
(author names not being displayed correctly in the
demo game) that should be given attention first. E.g,
the broken dos/wss.c sound driver.

> > I somehow like to remove all notion of those
> > ancient encodings whenever I encounter them :)
>
> Yeah, we should get rid of Unix in the meantime as
> well. Hehe, lets drop DOS support. There is nothing
> bad in latin1 as long as the characters you need are
> inside its range.

I'm thinking to support the DJGPP port of Allegro
(within my possibilities) while I still use it in my
own projects.

Regards,
Márcio (or Marcio).
:)