Re: [AD] 4.1.17

> > Not quite. You can't change the value and pass it back to the caller,
> but
> > you can change the value of the parameter within the function itself.
>
> I see. Still, I don't see the usefulness.

Basically, it's a debug aid. It prevents you from accidentally changing an
input variable and screwing up because of that.
Don't know, guess I'm used to doing this... may or may not be that useful.
What's the convention with other Allegro functions? I thought it was like
this, but I may be mistaken.

> The problem is, I don't want to request a system cursor - just a
> different cursor, and I don't care who draws it.

But this isn't what the function does. It's specific purpose is to request
the default system pointer, something that couldn't be done before.
It *could* be changed to only do this if no custom bitmap has been set, but
I'm a bit uncertain on how nicely this will fit with the current scheme.

> Well, I just feel an API where set_mouse_sprite does nothing even
> though a cursor is displayed is confusing.

Well, it does do something: it changes the Allegro sprite. It's not being
displayed so you don't see anything, but in a sense that isn't any
different from calling set_mouse_sprite() if no cursor is displayed at all.

> Ah, true. But as I said above, I'd like the different cursors to not
> be limited to hardware cursors - and in that case, it could make
> sense. Otherwise we could deprecate mouse_sprite in facor of
> mouse_cursor[CURSOR_ARROW].

Yeah. Could do that regardless, I think... although I'd like to keep the
array hidden from the user.

> I would say, this should be independent of which cursor type is
> displayed.

Well, my idea was that we don't want to force the default cursor on users
that set their own.

> Didn't think too much about this yet though. Will there
> also be a way to allow the user to define which cursor to display in
> which dialog?

Not sure what you mean... the only cursor I think the dialog would try to
set is the vertical bar for the edit field. All other widgets would use the
default arrow.
Maybe we could add a set of dialog flags that allow the user to select what
mouse button should be displayed when an object gains focus? Not sure if
this is that important...

Evert