Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 08:14 -0400, Ryan Patterson wrote:
> Chris would have me reply to this for him:
>
> I found the site:
> http://phil.ipal.org/tc.html
>
> And here's a larger .gif showing it off (though as you can see it takes
> forever to load):
> http://phil.ipal.org/tc2.gif
>
> I'm not saying this makes GIF any more useable than before. But, saying
> that .gif is limited to 256 colors just isn't true.

Well, but "one frame in a GIF animation can only have 256 colors"
remains true. So, it still is impossible to store a truecolor image
as .gif, unless you want it to appear block by block like on the above
site. Taking a truecolor image and saving as a .gif just is impossible.
And, the .gif on the above site adds an uncompressed 256 color palette
to every 16x16 block :P

--
Elias Pschernig