Re: [AD] giftware license

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

On 2004-09-25, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What? Allegro *wasn't* always giftware? And it was used in the
firmware of an arcade machine?

Amazing, isn't it? IIRC I actually sent Shawn my autoexec.bat because
he said that "anything" was ok... He, swap a text file for a game
library. The good old days... before lawyers.

I sent him Barney Hunter :-)

If there ever should be a lawsuit concerning the rights to
Allegro's code, that definitely would be funny..

Hmmm... wasn't the original poster concerned about the license saying
nothing about liability? All the released documentation starts with
a disclaimer. Maybe if we put that on the license page that would
make such people happy?

Good idea. We better just pull the disclaimer from the MIT licence or something, rather than that thing about your dog. Even if it's not as funny.

Personally I couldn't care less.

I kind of agree. If you need some authority telling you that giftware is open source, something's wrong: you're probably a lawyer.

But for those interested in having a
correctly licensed Allegro, the more cost effective solution right
now seems to contribute to the new_api_branch and make sure all
new code is under xxxx or zzzz license and that there is no old
code in there. That would effectively make it a rewrite and avoid
the old legacy code license problem altogether.
Not going to happen.

Peter