Re: [AD] Discussion on Allegro 4.2 on allegro.cc

Robert Ohannessian wrote:

I agree with Shawn's point of getting it right the first time (ie:
breaking it only once). However, this is clearly an unworkable solution
for large OSS with few active developers.

Having two APIs simultaneously for the same module is not always
possible or workable. Doing it one function at has lot of issues
associated with it: it's hard to guess interactions with future (newer)
changes to other related functions.

I agree. Personally I would like to see the input & event queue stuff from the a5 effort get integrated first. The design is already there, in one big chunk, so hopefully most of the interactions in the submodules it will have been sorted out in the space of one stable release. Then the gfx stuff could be done in one big chunk, and so on.

If you think about it, we're in a better situation than Shawn was when he started Allegro. We've got the benefit of working code that shows which parts are related to which other parts, and how.

Peter