Re: [AD] Magic main in Windows

On Monday 09 August 2004 5:47 pm, Daniel Schlyder wrote:
> What about RPMs, etc.? I thought those were very common.

RPM is a Package Manager. The difference between this and an installer is that
RPM is an external tool which notes where every file is placed and correctly
removes them all. Classical uninstallers are part of the application,
proprietary, and not well tested.

> When you put it that way, it sounds very negative. You don't throw files
> anywhere on the drive, you copy them according to the OS standard.

I still like the idea that I can easily find all the files in one place and
not have to hunt too much for them. This is, of course, failing a decent
uninstaller. And I don't trust Windows uninstallers, because many leave
registry entries lying around and such.

--
Regards,
Ryan Patterson <mailto:rpatters@xxxxxxxxxx>