Re: [AD] removing VBE/AF support

Peter Wang wrote:
In Linux it's getting compiled into the library by default, and nobody uses it so it's just bloat. We could just disable it by default, too.

Hmm.. yeah, I do remember hearing VBE/AF isn'r very reliable under Linux. SVGALib provides some acceleration, doesn't it? If that's the case then yeah, I don't see much use for it. However I wouldn't be very comfortable with just dropping the driver. I suppose disabling by default is alright though.

How does VBE/AF compare against VESA 2 or 3? SciTech Software released their Display Doctor suite for "free" (you can download it and they give you a free registration code), and that's supposed to give you a VBE/AF driver for your card if it's available, as well as VESA 3 support. Plus, even though it's all-but-dead, FreeBE/AF is still there, and since it's open source one could probably easilly create drivers for Radeon or Geforce cards using XFree-drm as a base.

You're pretty optimistic if you think that's going to happen, mate!

Yeah.. it's been my recent dream to recreate DOS as a gaming OS. We have most of the stuff we need in the form of open source Linux code, so all you'd have to do is port it to use protected mode DOS.

However, not having DOS or the time to do any of it myself puts a damper on that.

- Kitty Cat