Re: [AD] X11 unresponsiveness

Elias Pschernig wrote:
Well, my view is a bit different. The _private doesn't mean it is
private in file scope, but private with regards to the X lock.

Actually, what I think the _private bit may mean is pretty much what private does for C++ classes.. eg. _xwin_private* functions/variables can/should only be accessed by _xwin* functions. Either case, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to create a function to encase the if(_xwin_input_handler) function pointer check in, and call that from XUNLOCK.

About 4.0.x compatibility,
I really don't know. I was under the impression only global symbols can
have an effect on ABI compatibility (but probably I'm wrong).

AFAIK, that's right. Whenever you change/add/remove global (non-static) functions or variables, ABI compatibility is broken for DLLs.. however, I can't say if .so's have the same restiction.

Yes. But the thing is, we have a very small patch, which actually
improves the signals version a bit. So I see no reason to not apply it.
Admitted, the improvement does not affect the general problem. But
actually *requiring* polling would be a big step.

Alright, I can concede this. However, if you do it, and it works, that would leave the question open as to whether the *_needs_poll functions should return TRUE or FALSE.

So, my view is, *encourage* using polling by
stating it in the docs, and adjusting all the examples to query the
driver if polling is required and do it in that case.

I thought this was already done, actually. I know the docs already encourage checking the *_needs_poll function and to call poll_* if it returns true.. and I thought the examples followed this. If not, then that's definately something that should be fixed regardless. The examples should show proper coding behavior.

- Kitty Cat