Re: [AD] minor fix

On Thursday 01 July 2004 14:15, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> In any case, Eric not having the time anymore to be our fulltime
> maintainer is bad news. Since then we now have no fulltime maintainer
> anymore at all.

Not only that, I also believe Eric is the only one who really knows
anything about the Windows/DirectX port of Allegro. I certainly know
nothing about it.

> Guess we need to re-consider handling patches and bug
> reports in general - maybe follow Ben's suggestion from some time ago
> and put all patches and bug-reports to the SF tracker?

This might be a good idea, although I've always found SourceForge's web
based interface for patches and bug reports somewhat awkward. Is there a
different way to acces the tracker (ie, get reports forwarded by e-mail)?

> My impression is,
> there was no need for that since Eric tracked everything on this list.
> Since he doesn't have the time for that anymore - there's nobody else
> doing it now, and already some requests from the past weeks or months or
> so might have gone unnoticed (kcat sent some patches I think).

I'll browse through the list of messages for the past few weeks/months to
see what seems to have gone by unnoticed. Hopefully tonight, possibly
tomorrow and maybe saturday or sunday.

> And I
> wonder who will decide now things like e.g. putting in Henrik's new X11
> color conversion (don't remember if there was a ready-to-commit version
> at all).

I think we can vote by comittee, but it'd be nice to know who'se still
around first. Ultimately, I think we do need one new dictator though, if
Eric is (temporarily) unable to do that.

> Eric, I guess, you also won't be doing a 4.2.0 release this summer then?
> I was hoping for 4.2.0 coming out soon, so addon authors finally could
> upgrade to the 4.2.0 API and features.

I think a 4.2 release would be good, if only to have MacOS X support in a
stable version, but there may be a lot of stuff that needs to be done
first.
Apart from Henrik's X11 color conversion (which I want to take a look at
because I wanted to improve the code myself but wasn't sure how to go
about it), Kitty Cat's sound driver and the alsa driver (or is that
working properly now?), some other things from todo.txt that should IMO be
resolved first (there are more things in there, but these seem the most
urgent ones to me):

General (Platform independent) todos:
- make the library thread-safe
- fix use of 32-bit 'long' on 64-bit platforms

Win32 todos:

- Add a configuration option to specify the monitor on multi-monitor
systems
- Investigate Alt+Tab pop-up window being overdrawn in windowed mode
- Investigate problem with keyboard in the dxwindow test
- Modify convert_hbitmap_to_bitmap() behaviour with 8-bit DDBs
(I'm not sure what these last three refer to - may in fact be minor things
we can leave out, I don't know).

Linux todos:

- fix fb 24-bit scrolling (allegro presuming padding?)
(maybe less important with newer hardware becoming the norm)
- memory leaks in ljoy.c (search for malloc)
- make spec file work with older rpms, e.g. from RedHat 6.0
  They don't like lines in %files section starting with non-`/'.
(also maybe less important nowadays)
- ALSA driver should try different parameters when it cannot set the
  parameters it wants the first time, ie. because the sound card is crap
(fixed by now?)

X11 todos:

- remove `dga_mouse' config var when appropriate (newer servers have fixed
  the bug this works around).  Wait until XF86 4.0 propagated..
- speed up X11 driver (use asm colour conversion routines, for one)
- key[] should not be internationalised (e.g. KEY_S should always be set
  for the key two to the right of CapsLock).  If we can't solve this in
  time, include bukinm's xkeymap program.
- play nice with WindowMaker (there's no appicon, for one)
- ufixicon (generate src file that when linked, automatically sets icon)
- problem with mouse and keyboard events [fixed?]
- add an option to use the current palette in 8-bit mode
Some of these may already be fixed and working properly?
I recall seeing some patches for related topics being posted not too long
ago.

Unix todos:

- tidy up the configure machinery
I think Eric was working on this not too long ago... Eric?

MacOS X todos

If it doesn't break compatibility, then these can be postponed yet for a
little  while.

BeOS / QNX todos:
Anyone with acces to these systems at the moment?

Wishlist:
- OSS MIDI pitch bend is wrong
- size_t where appropriate (get more opinions first)
I think this would be the proper thing to do, so there's my opinion on
that ;)
- keyboard set_rate
- More hardware accelerated functions? Trans/lit sprites come to mind.
This would be a good thing, but maybe this is only feasable if/when Allegro
is merged with AllegroGL?

Anyway, that's quite a list. Not all of it needs to be done, but I feel
that a reasonable portion of those things should be for 4.2, in particular
with respect to multi threading.

Evert