Re: [AD] allegro introduction on the website

[Moving this over from the www-commits list]
On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 20:08 +0100, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2004-07-31, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hm, yeah. But it imposes no DOS style.. so that sentence at least
> > should go.
>
> How about this:
>
> You will find that Allegro favours a programming style where your
> game executes from the starting main() function and doesn't require
> threads, in contrast to other libraries which are event based.  Also,

Hm, I don't think this should be there. SDL also doesn't require threads
for example, and personally, I don't know a library that does. Allegro
has no event's in the sense, you don't wait in a central event's queue.
But that's a detail that everyone trying out Allegro will notice.

> Allegro sometimes trades flexibility for easiness and abstraction,

I'm not really sure that's true. Actually, if we would do that, a lot of
the current API could be thrown away. E.g. all the _bmp_write_line and
stuff..

> so for relatively complicated things like setting a graphic mode,
> you can end up with a single function call. If you don't like this
> style (which we think is better because you concentrate on writing
> the game instead of manipulating complicated functions) you might
> want to see the <a href="links<dotlangcode>.html">Libraries section
> of the links page</a>, where you can find other game programming
> libraries based on different principles.

Well, this can stay I guess - but I think, it's not necessary. It goes
without saying that you can try other libs :) And we already provide the
libraries section on the links page.. so no need to link to that from
the introduction.

--
Elias Pschernig