Re: [AD] get_audio_stream_buffer

Elias Pschernig wrote:

Can anybody confirm the bug or I am the only one who gets it?

My current configuration is:
computer 1: AMD Duron 950, Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.7, glibc with NPTL, ALSA with OSS emulation (Allegro is configured to use OSS only), Allegro 4.1.14, configure option '--disable-asm' used computer 2: AMD Athlon 850, Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.7, glibc without NPTL, ALSA with OSS emulation (Allegro is configured to use OSS only), Allegro 4.0.3, configure option '--disable-asm' used

I will try more different configurations, but it takes much time to test

Yes, the time to test is a big problem. And the problem could be with
DUMB. Using OSS instead of Alsa, and --disable-asm - I'd have thought
both to be more stable than using Alsa and the asm version. So probably
it has nothing to do with them. But don't know.

I removed --disable-asm option just for test, it did not help.

Can you describe the symptoms in some more detail? E.g., what if you
switch off and on music? Does the game get responsive again? And do also
other sounds played with play_sample have noise after the problem
occurs?

Well, I'm using that small test program now:
http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/other/music-bug.zip

But the symptoms are the same as in the game. It plays music for some time, but then something happens and it only produces hissing noise that has nothing common with the music played before.

The memory usage does not grow, so if there are some leaks, the program is probably leaking some handles.

As nobody else can reproduce the problem, that could probably be compiler optimization bugs. I'm using gcc 3.3.3 (from Gentoo Linux), my CFLAGS are '-Os -mcpu=athlon-tbird -march=athlon-tbird'. Can anybody else who is using Gentoo Linux try to run this test program (for at least some hours)?

PS. I'm short on free time, so I have currently just disabled music support in Linux build. But as time allows I will try to investigate this problem further.