Re: [AD] Sound API

On Sunday 16 May 2004 18:44, Ben Davis wrote:
> Just out of interest, what volume bug are we talking about here? I was
> using set_volume_per_voice(0), so it should have played at full volume
> already; it did for me.

I just found out I was wrong. It turns out my game uses
set_volume_per_voice(1), and, accordingly, the music plays (with the old
mixer) at half the volume XMMS plays it at.

Tom, did you say it was louder with the new mixer? If so, that would mean
set_volume_per_voice() does nothing now. Is that the case?

That would be a bad idea. The behaviour should at least be emulated. If I call
set_volume_per_voice(1), I expect each (pan=128,vol=255) sound effect to be
played at half the maximum volume. It may be an ugly function but people are
using it. The time to change it would be the time the whole API changes.

I'm sorry for going on about this stuff without actually bothering to check
anything! Final year exams coming up ...

Ben