Re: [AD] Sound API

On May 15, 2004 03:34 pm, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On May 15, 2004 12:12 pm, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> > On 2004-05-15, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I don't get it myself. When someone posts a sane want (or in this case
> > > a NEED) list, people say "Post a patch! we'll be glad to apply it!",
> > > and now here we have someone who has done just that, and now its "Maybe
> > > later!".
> >
> > I think this happens because of a lack of admins. Not admins in the SF
> > meaning, but people who want to take care of parts of Allegro. I
> > personally don't even use Allegro since a few years, so I've stuck to
> > makedoc and generating documentation which (gasp!) interests me now more
> > than writting Allegro games.
> >
> > Other than that I feel Eric is quite overloaded with requests, and for
> > some he might not have the time or interests, so they are pending on the
> > mailbox (like the 4 mouse button patch). Kitty cat seems able and willing
> > to deal with sound mixers. I guess it's a matter of time then until
> > Kitty Kat is assigned "responsable" of the mixer and gets quick patch
> > approval or "controlled" CVS write access.
>
> I'd say he is more than capable of dealing with the mixer issues. I've
> tested the mixer code under gentoo with 2.4.24/25, and 2.6.5, with a few
> different versions of ALSA, and none of that has anything to do with the
> mixer, and unsupprisingly it works fine in all :) These changes are
> nessesary, and the sooner they get in, the better. Just think, that
> annoying "bug" with the volume in the current mixer is fixed, and it will
> now be EASY to add HW features to the drivers. So even if the DX mixer
> driver is removed that won't preclude loosing hw streem support on windows,
> heck it means we get proper support, instead of a nasty hack, and more
> bugs.

I just did some more testing of KCat's mixer. One notable thing was Ben's
SEKRIT PROJACT actually performed a bit better than it used to :) The volume
"bug" no longer exists, music played at full volume. Ben's SEKRIT PROJACT
uses DUMB, and a fair bit of one shot sound effects. It all sounded really
good.

I did notice one bad thing however. The ALSA driver is broken on my machine
now. :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx