Re: [AD] [BUG?] X11 Windowed driver delay...

On February 14, 2004 01:22 pm, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 21:05, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > > Thats rather sad.. And embarasing on my part.. oh well.
> >
> > Not at all.  I was only kidding.  As I said previously, better have
> > something experimental than nothing.
>
> Just, auto-detecting it defeats all the nice 0%-CPU-GUI we have now, if
> the enabled ALSA driver eats all the CPU :P I wished I could get myself
> to spend some more time to look over the ALSA driver.. but all the
> asynchronous writing stuff in it puts me off. I might try modifying it
> so it runs its own thread with blocking writes, then maybe see what
> could be wrong in the current one (provided the own-thread driver
> doesn't show the same problems..). Can't promise anything though as
> well, so if anyone wants to write a new ALSA driver or find out what the
> problem is in the current, just go ahead :)

I really don't get whats wrong with that driver.. Especially with the patch I
gave to you applied... Its very similar to some alsa code I used in a little
library I wrote for playing audio.. though the whole thing runs in a thread,
so maybe thats why it maybe at max uses 3% cpu? (more if the DUMB plugin is
in use ;) possibly LOTS more ;)) hmm.. seems I also skip setting a few of the
hw parameters.. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx