[AD] Allegro 4.2 todos

> I think we can start to plan a release date for 4.2.0 (maybe the end of the
> year) and think about what is to be done in the meantime. For example:
> - synchronization: this is a hard problem and I'm not sure that it is
> solvable at all, but we could really try.

Could you quickly refresh my mind on what the exact problem is? I'm too lazy
to search the ml archives myself :P

> - ALSA 0.9.x: what is the status of this driver?

I suppose such a driver will sit near and not replace the existing ALSA 0.5
one, otherwise the QNX port will have some problems...

Here's another list of things that I'd like to be fixed for 4.2:

- removed textout_ex and similar function and modify default textout
behaviour so I we don't have those "function is deprecated" warnings anymore
(yes, binary compatibility would be broken, but still this is a major
release)

- maybe start to remove some redundant function like draw_sprite (not really
sure here though)

- integrate OpenGL drivers where natively supported (and via Mesa
otherwise), from AllegroGL (heresy?)

- this has already been proposed, but I'll launch it again: what about a
little public multiplatform threading API, sitting near the already existent
mutex one? Threads are useful in games, despite some of you may think.

> I think we're almost ready for 4.1.10 WIP but there is a couple of remaining
> tasks:
> - definitely resolve the rand() et al. related problems,
> - merge Henrik's C++ example and try to make it compile with as many
> compilers as possible.
>
> I'm on item #2.

I can think of #1, but it seems to me we didn't come to a decision on how to
operate: the best solution so far IMO is the one to include a *private*
_al_rand() function that works like rand() but uses a dedicated algorithm
(not a complex one; the 4-5 lines snippet appeared a while ago would already
fit nicely to me).
If this is ok, I can add it and replace rand() calls everywhere in the
library. Let me know!

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx