[AD] CVS Issues

Hi all,

I've been having a hell of a time with the CVS server, and I was hoping
someone would be able to shed some light.  I have the login / update as
two lines in a shell script, and when I run it I get this message:

cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)

This is strange, because it seems to be a random occurrence.  Sometimes
the script works fine, I hit enter for the anonymous password and my
local copy is updated.  Other times, the above message is present.

I thought it might be a problem with ports, so I checked the SF CVS
pages and opened the port it recommended on my firewall (2401 I think)
to no avail.

Anybody else having this issue?
- Charles