Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2 todos

Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
Trouble is, you'd end up doing a lot of work behind the scenes.
You'd have to deal with textures (BITMAPs transparently being
converted and uploaded), binding them, etc. Being in software,
triangles are probably not sent sorted by state, etc.

And, the most important: emptying the pipe each time you switch
between 3D and 3D. I know I *constantly* switch between the two
in my own game

The background work is definately non-negligeable. AllegroGL has way too much cruft dealing with fonts and video bitmaps. It's very ugly code that I'd really like to get rid of if I could help it.

As for emptying the pipe, no recent 3D accelerator will do that. Not only that, but even if a pipe flush is involved, rendering will still be an order of magnitude faster than Allegro's software routines.

--
- Robert Jr Ohannessian
http://bob.allegronetwork.com/