RE: [AD] Allegro 4.2 todos

Title: RE: [AD] Allegro 4.2 todos

> and video; adding install_3d would be a way to keep the old 3D
> functions running (IE, allegro_init automatically calls
> install_3d(3D_SAFE)) and not breaking compatibility, while allowing
> those who want to use hardware to do so.

Trouble is, you'd end up doing a lot of work behind the scenes.
You'd have to deal with textures (BITMAPs transparently being
converted and uploaded), binding them, etc. Being in software,
triangles are probably not sent sorted by state, etc.

And, the most important: emptying the pipe each time you switch
between 3D and 3D. I know I *constantly* switch between the two
in my own game (because there is no slowdown involved in doing
so with Allegro's software rasterizer). You'd have to target
OpenGL anyway to have a use for an OpenGL driver, so in this
case you'd better be using AllegroGL directly.

Then again, maybe not, I don't code 3D hardware.

--
Vincent Penquerc'h