Re: [AD] crash! unhandled exception wip414 win2k msvc

> Your desktop, albeit reported as 16-bit by Windows, is probably
> a 15-bit one.  Try to change the color depth of your game to 15-bit.

Hmm, I just tried that, and if I set the game to 15-bit, then set_gfx_mode
fails when I try to create a window. 16-bit succeeds but the window is
covered pink.
If I switch my desktop back to 32-bit, then both 15- and 16-bit windowed
modes work fine (except the alt+tab crash, obviously).
This is a bit worrying, I've never tried with a lower desktop depth before -
but I guess most people run their desktops at 32-bit these days so it
doesn't really matter.

One question - is there no way to detect the pinkness problem? I'd much
rather set_gfx_mode failed, then I could use a fullscreen mode instead,
rather than the player being presented with a pink window and assuming the
game doens't work on their system.

> Could you try the attached patch ? Does it modify the crash point ?

I tried the patch - unfortunately using it cuts the frame rate to about 20%,
making the game unplayable. And unfortunately it still crashes in
_colorconv_blit_16_to_32 (not sure whether it's in the same place but it's
still in that function) when I alt+tab.

Incidentally, I'm using WIP 4.1.3, because when I type make with 4.1.4, it
tells me:
Missing djgpp package! You need to install djdev203.zip (or whatever the
latest version is). Download this from wherever you got djgpp, and unzip
it into the root of your djgpp directory.

Strange that, because all the other versions compile just fine.

Anyway I'm running DirectX 8.1 on Windows 2000 if that helps.

Hope this helps in some way to clear up the bug,
Cheers,
Chris