Re: [AD] GFX_SAFE mode patch

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:46:13PM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > I'm still amazed I could introduce this hack into Allegro :-) The patch
> > works, although it may not be such a good idea to ignore the user's
> > configuration.
>
> Then I'm a little lost :-) Do you want the user to be able to tweak the
> GFX_SAFE mode ?

Yes. My point of view is that GFX_SAFE for fbcon should set the
current resolution/depth if and only if the user is not providing it's
configuration. After all, configuration files are for overriding default
behaviour.

> > Should the framebuffer try to detect a resolution in the _module_init
> > function and return it to the system driver somehow?
>
> That would be a nice solution: the fb driver could then set the
> desktop_color_depth, get_desktop_resolution and get_gfx_safe_mode
> methods of the system driver.

Good. I will add this to my todo list and investigate it whenever the
voices in my head agree on what to do next.

> > Maybe get_gfx_safe_mode should be added to each graphic driver and the
> > system driver should query all available ones?
>
> We already have a fetch_mode_list method for each graphic driver and it is
> not reliable (see for example SVGAlib).

Oh, then we could have a get_safe_gfx_safe_mode ;) for internal use
which doesn't activate the driver if possible, and leave fetch_mode_list
dangerous code for the brave user to handle.