Re: [AD] GFX_SAFE mode patch

> I'm still amazed I could introduce this hack into Allegro :-) The patch
> works, although it may not be such a good idea to ignore the user's
> configuration.

Then I'm a little lost :-) Do you want the user to be able to tweak the
GFX_SAFE mode ?

> Didn't explain myself correctly: the linux system driver doesn't know if
> the framebuffer can work until you try to set_gfx_mode, _now_.

Yes, the problem.

> Should the framebuffer try to detect a resolution in the _module_init
> function and return it to the system driver somehow?

That would be a nice solution: the fb driver could then set the
desktop_color_depth, get_desktop_resolution and get_gfx_safe_mode methods of
the system driver.

> Maybe get_gfx_safe_mode should be added to each graphic driver and the
> system driver should query all available ones?

We already have a fetch_mode_list method for each graphic driver and it is
not reliable (see for example SVGAlib).

--
Eric Botcazou