Re: [AD] New font types

> As a small project, I have developed some new font types for Allegro.
> Please see the attached text file for a more thorough description.
> Although this would sit alright as an addon, it would require me to
> distribute patched versions of grabber, dat2c and Allegro itself, so I
> would like to ask for your comments on merging it into Allegro.

Why do you need to modify the core library ? I thought the font interface
was flexible enough to be able to handle new font types (see for example
AllegTTF and AllegroFont).

> On the plus side:
>  - Anti-aliased and truecolor rendering.

Does this mean that you want to merge a custom anti-aliasing rendering
engine into Allegro ?

> On the minus side:
>  - The font creation tool would have to be shipped as a separate
>    package, since it will be quite large once it is written (probably
>    almost as large as the grabber).

IMHO the mere need for a font creation tool is already a big minus. I think
we shoud try to leverage the existing tools and this of course means using
the existing font formats.

> If you are really interested, then you can grab the package from
> (temporarily):
>   http://www.lwithers.demon.co.uk/exfont.tar.bz2

Please use gzip instead of bzip2. Not everyone has bzip2 installed on his
system.

--
Eric Botcazou