Re: [AD] Allegro 4.1.0 WIP

> Was the right file uploaded?  There are two files in that directory,
> allegro-4.0.2-msvc.zip (822k) and allegro-4.0.2-msvcmake.zip (621k).
> The latter has a directory structure like the previous all*_bin.zip
> releases, with an msvcmake.bat.

The `msvcmake' is what is equivelent to the 'allXYZ_bin', however the new
text that accompanies the file (on `http://alleg.sourceforge.net/wip.html')
reads as:

    "This zip file contains the binary distribution of Allegro for Windows.
You only need it if you have a compiler unable to produce the Allegro DLL
(like Borland). To use, unzip the files inside a temporary directory and
follow the instructions of the README.txt file."

That appears to be the instructions for `allegro-4.0.2-msvc.zip', which is a
pre-compiled .lib, .dll, and .h distribution.

So to answer the question, it appears that all402_bin.zip was based off of
the binary msvc, as opposed to the `makefile.bat' version. The instructions
were updated, so it appears intentional, although it is different than what
was used before.

-

My personal opinion is that the `allXYZ_bin.zip' is a misleading name, as it
also requires the source. People are more likely to be under the impression
that a `binary' version is independent of the source version. This is why I
name things differently:

allegro-4.0.2-msvc.zip (MSVC compiled binaries)
allegro-4.0.2-mingw.zip (MinGW32 compiled binaries)
allegro-4.0.2-djgpp.zip (DJGPP compiled binaries)
allegro-4.0.2-msvcmake.zip (MSVC makefile helper to compile from source)
... and so on ...

I use long names for everything, except that I do keep a copy of all402.zip
just to be safe to DOS.

--
Matthew Leverton - matthew@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.allegro.cc