Re: [AD] 4.0.1 - FreeBSD results

On 2002-03-12, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * I had to download gmake (version 3.79.1). Just to be sure, I moved the
> > standard 'make' away and created a link so that make -> gmake.
>
> Maybe should we simply *require* GNU make, instead of endlessly trying to
> patch the makefile. The configure script could try to detect it as 'gmake',
> so that the substitution is not necessary.

We do -- see the bottom of configure.in.  I suppose we should output
an informative message for the user too.

> > * I tried to run ./exhello and it complained it couldn't find the allegro
> > library 'liballeg.so.4.0'. I created a link in /usr/lib to
> > 'liballeg-4.0.1.so' and ...
>
> The default installation path is /usr/local, so you have either to add
> /usr/local/lib to your ldconfig file or use ./configure --prefix=/usr.

Maybe ldconfig in FreeBSD works differently, if it has ldconfig at
all.  We may have to create the liballeg.so.4.0 symlink ourselves.

BTW, ldconfig on my (Linux) system doesn't delete symlinks (e.g. in
make uninstall).  We should fix this some time (after release is ok).

> > In Full Screen modes that are lower than the current resolution, the
> > background border is not completely black. I noticed this in the "Select a
> > Video Resolution" screens primarily. If you were to divide the screen into
> > 9 cells (3 rows by 3 columns), the bottom middle one was white, while all
> > the other 'border' cells were black.
>
> Yes, this is a well known issue and I submitted two patches to Michael a
> while ago but he never applied any of them. Now that I'm a maintainer... ;-)

I've never seen it.