Re: [AD] msvcmake is broken

On Tuesday 01 January 2002 23:08, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> > Hmm... IIRC, `type' doesn't like multiple filenames or wildcards.
>
> Under Windows XP (and I think NT/2000), type works with wildcards, but
> it doesn't under DOS/Windows 98.

Ok, I have no experience with the former, only with the latter. Nice to
see MS finally fixed that little problem.

> > I think it would be easiest to simply require cat.exe to be installed
>
> It would be easiest for whom? Not the MSVC programmer, unless cat.exe
> was provided. (Which it easily could be in the all3940_bin.zip.)

I thought it would be easiest for the poor end-user who otherwise might
end up with a distribution that won't compile because his Windows version
behaves differently :-)
Actually, I don't use Windows much anymore and I certainly never used
MSVC. If it works, I'm perfectly content. :-)

> The "copy *.inc dest" solution works under all Microsoft environments
> (as far as I know), and in fact was the way the 3.9.40 msvcmake.bat
> worked.

I'm fairly certain it didn't work back when I was using DOS 6.2, and I
vaguely recall having tried it under Windows 98 at some point and seeing
that it didn't work. Maybe I did something or other wrong though, if it
works for others.

Oh wait, I use 4dos as my command shell. Could that have anythingt to do
with it? If so, maybe there should be a note in the docs...?