Re: [AD] Proposal to kill non-UTF-8 support

On 2002-01-07, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Win32 API speaks 16-bit Unicode, not UTF-8. So an user willing to
> allegro-ize an unicodified Win32 app (very unlikely) or use Allegro in a
> unicodified Win32 program (more likely) may find the conversion cumbersome.

[sorry for lateness]

IMHO, both cases are unlikely.

Would anyone writing native Allegro progams choose to use 16-bit text,
because a single platform uses it?  In cross-platform programs,
probably no.  In single-platform programs, maybe.  In games, app<-->OS
string interactions would be rarer than ASCII-source-code-to-current-encoding
string conversions, so you just move the cumbersome-ness elsewhere.

... assuming source code is ASCII/UTF-8, that is.  If not, UTF-8 would
clearly be a pain to work with too.  I'd be surprised if compilers
ever stopped supporting ASCII source code though.