Re: [AD] Proposal to kill non-UTF-8 support

> I assumed the user would use UTF-8.

Yes, this proposal would practically prevent the user from using 16-bit
Unicode as the text encoding format. Is it the role of a library, especially
a cross-platform one, to impose such a choice ? The answer might be yes, if
one thinks that UTF-8 is really better than 16-bit Unicode.

> That's not nice at all.  Where do these strings come from, and how
> often would they be mixed with Allegro?  Clearly I don't have enough
> experience with this.

The Win32 API speaks 16-bit Unicode, not UTF-8. So an user willing to
allegro-ize an unicodified Win32 app (very unlikely) or use Allegro in a
unicodified Win32 program (more likely) may find the conversion cumbersome.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx