Re: [AD] Proposal to drop DOS port from Allegro 4

> I've been thinking about something (plus I say a comment about it in the
> forums). I propose, and a lot seem to agree, that DOS should be dropped
> from Allegro. It should be dropped for several reasons. Firstly, the
> programmers mainly only use DOS because they are used to it. Secondly,
> Windows has gotten rid of DOS from Windows 2000 and up. Thirdly, the DOS
> port is greatly limiting what Allegro could possibly do. Finally, there is
> a great Windows compiler (Dev-C++) which is free and easy to learn to use.
> DOS is obselete or rapidly becoming obsolete and should be dropped from
> Allegro before the Allegro project suffers. By suffers I mean before it
> loses users becuase they can't play the games for compatibility in Windows.
>
> --Clayton Weaver

Yeah.. I think the recent version of Allegro offers enough functionality for
DOS. There are few things for DOS to implement that Allegro does not provide.
Although DOS is easy for starters, it is quite limited platform and less
suitable for game development compared to real operating systems.
Everything else developes and evolves, why shouldn't Allegro too?
In few years, DOS is gone. Micro$oft will no longer support it as a part of
their OS. It is useless to wait until DOS is gone. Rats have already left the
sinking ship and so should Allegro too.

Tero Laitinen
--
tero.laitinen@xxxxxxxxxx