Re: [AD] Proposal to drop DOS port from Allegro 4

Laurence Withers wrote:

I propose, and a lot seem to agree, that DOS should be dropped from Allegro.

Sorry, but check out the poll on allegro.cc. Over 50% of people say that
DOS shouldn't be dropped. So even if you were going for a majority vote,
you have lost.

That's not quite true:

Total votes: 157
For DOS: 40%
Dropped from Allegro 5 (against DOS): 19%
Dropped from Allegro 4 (against DOS):  8%
Yesterday (against DOS):              10%

Total for/against: 40%/37%

I'd say it's pretty close, but 157 votes is hardly statiscally valid anyway.

Not that you don't make a valid point in the rest of your post.

So? Windows isn't the only thing at stake here. I for one will always
stay at Win98.

Yeah, I said the same about Win 3.1, and then suddenly, you couldn't even get new hardware to work on that platform, it's not suppoted (Even implicitly) by ISPs, no apps work on it, etc. In a way, I was "forced" to move up to Win95. (Linux wasn't an option at the time).

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)