R: [AD] 4.0 release candidate 1

Ok, here's my own small report on RC1:

I had no problems compiling it under Linux (Mandrake 8, gcc 2.96) and
BeOS (Personal Edition 5.0.3, gcc 2.95).
However I noticed the following things while testing the Linux version:

1) When running expal under X, pressing ESC to end the program actually
ends it with some delays, i.e. the event itself is delayed and the
program doesn't get it until a second later. Peter told me on IRC the
problem disappears if the program is set to run at the same color depth
as your desktop, and indeed it ran normally when I tested this. Anyway
the problem is there and should be fixed... IMO it's a threading issue,
but Peter pointed out also that it's due to the slow color convertion
routines used by the X port. I know many of you could already be aware
of this problem, but I wanted to point it out.

2) When I exit an Allegro program still under X, sometimes it gives me
an error (XIO error ....) and I again suppose it's a threading issue.

I didn't notice other problems so far, but I wonder if these are things
supposed to happen in a release tagged as Release Candidate... Just my
2c.

Problem #2 could disappear if we set the default library to be built
with SIGALRM events processing on (haven't tried it yet though). For
problem #1 we may have to wait until the unified color conversion code
is applied to the X port, but I doubt it'll be in time for 4.0...

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx