Re: [AD] Renamed API second draft

Michael Bukin wrote:

[snip]

You are talking about bitmaps that were sprites in Allegro 4, right?
For 'sprites' it would be much simpler to only support conversion from
bitmap.  We still need to distinguish between blit and draw, if we
want to support drawing modes.  Or 'sprites' will obey drawing modes
in blit, while regular bitmaps will not, which will be misleading and
won't work for your idea of swapping bitmaps and sprites.  Or maybe
regular bitmaps will obey drawing modes too (but then it should be
called 'draw', not 'blit').

I'm affraid I don't follow. Do you mean to day that the current drawing mode applies to sprites too? Does draw_sprite() suffice for drawing a sprite with this drawing mode? What abour compiled sprites, how does that work?

BTW, maybe we should remove clipping at all?

Creating a sub-bitmap involves at least one malloc(), which is pathetically slow on some systems. Setting a few numbers isn't, so 'dynamic' clipping will be a lot faster. There's also the issue of drawing a sprite partially off screen, which is better done with clipping then creating and destroying subbitmaps as needed.
IMHO :)

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)