Re: [AD] doc building patterns (was: Release Candidate 3)

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:36:42AM +0000, George Foot wrote:
> I got it to work with GNU Make, still using $< and $@.  There
> are two things wrong with what you put, based on what I tested:
>
>     1) you need .SUFFIXES: .txt  (or is it the ._tx that goes there?)
>
>     2) it appears to only work for single-character extensions!
>
> Pah.

Addendum:  (2) is not true, Michael's example works, and again
as Michael said, both suffixes need to go in .SUFFIXES.  "info
gnu suffix" gives the Make manual on this; it does read a bit
like someone pointing out all the holes in suffix rules, and
telling you to use pattern rules instead, but if you sift
through that there is a bit of information there. :)

George