Re: [AD] Release Candidate 3

Eric Botcazou wrote:

> > ** Now: [my versions of] djgpp sort and Linux sort behave differently
> > with regards to underscores in the start of a symbol.
>
> Damn ! You're right, although both are GNU sort 2.0 on my machine.
> It seems that the Linux version strips the underscores, as though it was
> aliased as 'sort -d'. IMHO that's ugly. I tried to play with the LC_COLLATE
> and LC_CTYPE variables, but didn't find anything.
>
> Could everyone who has another version or another platform do a test ?
> Simply 'sort' the attached file (in French :-).
>
> Here are my results:
>
> DJGPP sort 2.0:
> _bonjour
> beau
> bonjour
> brusque
>
> Linux sort 2.0:
> beau
> _bonjour
> bonjour
> brusque

This is the result of a very nasty idea with the internationalization stuff.
Try it in the Linux box:

ice:/tmp$ export LC_ALL=C
ice:/tmp$ sort pp
_bonjour
beau
bonjour
brusque

Here I select "C" language (not a real language, just the default)
It affects a lot of tools and some maintainers just decided to drop
internationalization for some operations (you set the locale to C and then back
to the original).

Is a huge problem.
BTW: My default here is spanish, so I usually get the same you got.

SET

--
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Visit my home page: http://welcome.to/SetSoft or