Re: [AD] Proposal to add a tutorial in doc folder

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 09:09:44AM +0100, Hein Zelle wrote:
> Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> > But if you need to download four or five diffs this becomes more cumbersom. Also, if I want to reinstall Allegro now, I have to unzip an old version and apply six or seven patches over it.
> > Besides, when 4.0 comes out, I'd prefer a new zip file for that version.
>
> I agree with that. I think it'd be relatively little trouble to put
> the zips in 'floppy chunks' on the web site as well, wouldn't it? We
> already have a script that does the work of making the distribution,
> so why not add it.
>
> If it's no problem with the website space, I think it would be nice if
> this was added for 4.0 and later WIP's.

I agree. It shouldn't be too hard to implement. One practical point, though:
will all zip/unzip programs support this kind of thing? I know winzip does
it (although in a horrible way that gives all volumes of the archive the same
name), but I'm not sure about command-line zips.

In the distant stone-age of the PC, ARJ would have been a good alternative for
multiple-volume archives. How useful would RAR be in this case? I know that
it is supported on a lot of platforms, although used less than ZIP or
TAR/GZIP.

Evert

--
Evert Glebbeek, Physics student
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam