Re: [AD] Proposal to add a tutorial in doc folder

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> I agree. It shouldn't be too hard to implement. One practical point,
> though: will all zip/unzip programs support this kind of thing? I know
> winzip does it (although in a horrible way that gives all volumes of
> the archive the same name), but I'm not sure about command-line zips.

AFAICS, dos pkzip can create splitted archives, but only if you actually
store then on floppies, and pkunzip can unzip them. zip/unzip don't seem
to have any options for multiple volumes though.

> In the distant stone-age of the PC, ARJ would have been a good
> alternative for multiple-volume archives. How useful would RAR be in
> this case? I know that it is supported on a lot of platforms, although
> used less than ZIP or TAR/GZIP.

I don't know how big problem this is, but IIRC RAR is non-free, and
certainly more non-standard than zip. One way to do it with zip archives
could be to simply put half the files in one archive and the rest in
another (non-automatically). For example, zipping the src/ dir gives a
933 KB archive, so the rest should also fit on a floppy.

Sven