Re: [AD] problems with X fullscreen mode

Peter Wang wrote:

> If you look in src/x/xwin.c there are only two places where that
> message occurs.  These strings occur in the in the DGA1 and
> XF86VidMode parts of that file.  I wouldn't take too much notice of
> the strings that demo.c outputs, because they are likely to be only
> the *last* errors encountered.

I'm not certain I understand what you mean. I traced the error to the
first time the message occurs (XF86VidMode part) and confirmed an
error return value from XGrabPointer with printf's. Are you saying the
error could be even earlier?

> It would be better to start putting in printf's to figure out exactly
> which driver is failing, and where.  I'd start with set_gfx_mode in
> graphics.c.

I'm definitely certain that XGrabPointer returns error, but I hadn't
thought things had gone wrong earlier. The message I see output by
demo is correct: it actually failed where the message is generated.

I'm also quite certain the video mode switch works: I uncommented the
'return' statement to see what would happen. This leaves my machine in
a bit of a weird state: switched to full-screen 640x480 while the demo
game is running but not working (I see part of my desktop, no demo
game). Conclusion would be that the video mode switch works and is
allowed as a normal user.

Leaves the questions 'why would XGrabPointer not work' and 'could it
be that something else went wrong first'. Any ideas in which direction
I should look?

Finally, can you (or anyone else) confirm if full screen X works for
you as a user? This may still be a problem with my X server (4.03 I
believe).

Hein Zelle

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxx
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein