Re: [AD] mode selector, some observations...

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But you can also cache the list in dx_fetch_mode_list() because:
> - DirectX enumeration is obviously slow,
> - the three fullscreen drivers (accel, soft and safe) enumerate exactly
the
> same modes.

ok, so first we cut the time in half then in three. that should be enough to
satisfy the most impatient user. ;o) the same could be done with the
vesa_fetch_mode_list() function. instead of caching it one could also
compare the fetch_mode_list pointers to determine which drivers has a common
mode-list. that way we save memory instead of using more.

PS! I just tried Allegro on my screencard's TV-out today... When I ran the
test program I couldn't help but notice all the resolutions over 800x600 was
gone from the mode-selector. Then it suddenly hit me that the screencard's
drivers had been smart enough to remove the resolutions my TV couldn't
support. nVIDIA rulez!

Sincerely Henrik Stokseth.
E-mail: hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx  Homepage: http://hstokset.n3.net