Re: [AD] Proposal for Allegro's future (namespaces, et al.)

Johan Henriksson wrote:
[snip]
Sure, but there are at least 3 other GUI's for Allegro just on allegro.cc
that
are quite dirty too :) I'm suggesting the current GUI is dropped into a
separate
library. If we are making the library less backwards-compatible, we might
take the
opportunity to "debloat" it at the same time. There are more stuff we could
split off. Hm.. The FLIC routines and some of the image loaders just to
mention some.

I see your point. Yes perhaps the GUI should be spun-off. But then, how do we compile the Grabber? Should the grabber inherit all the GUI code? As long as the code is there, why can't it not be used in the rest of the lib?

Also, there's the question of the scren mode dialogs which is used quite a lot and is very useful. The test program also makes use of the GUI.

I would like to add:
- Networking support (libnet merge-in?)

Anything about a "merge" is a bad idea

Bloat again? What about the module idea? We could have allegro.dll,
allegro-network.dll, allegro-scripting-language.dll, allegro-GUI.dll...
Where these libraries are really libnet, SeeR and DUI in disguise (for

example).

But what would be the gain?

The gain would be that users will have a cross-platform way of networking their games. Granted, that's what libnet is right now, so renaming it will only increase its exposure.

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)